Pages

Monday, January 6, 2014

Not Like I'd Planned It!

I had been itching since my Innova arrived to get started quilting "real quilts" not just leftover pieces of fabric I had lying around.  I started with my sister-in-law's baby quilt which quilted up quickly and I was feeling confident.
At the beginning of Christmas break I'd been perusing eBay in hopes of finding some quilt tops to work on. I found more than a few! EBay is a goldmine for unfinished quilt tops. I bid on a Christmas top and won it Christmas Eve for about $12 + s&h. It arrived a few days later and I was so excited. I had to fix a few seams due to misalignment and pleats but I was ready to tackle this baby!
I loaded her up on my frame one evening, decided I would float this top since it had worked so well for me on my one previous practice quilt, and tacked her down using 3 stitches per inch with my Innova.
My first eBay quilt loaded and ready!
Needless, to say this quilt did not go how I planned from the start.  When I first started I sized my pattern too small and the normal size of stars I was used to quilting were much smaller giving me fits. I did 3 passes across then stopped and took 2 days deciding what I was going to do. I could rip out all my quilting I'd done thus far and start over or I could enlarge my pattern and continue on from where I was currently. I chose the second option, enlarging my pattern and continuing on without looking back. After I put in my first pass of the larger pattern I went back and freehand quilted in some loopty loos and stars to bridge the gap.
Throughout I was having problems getting uniform stars. I would concentrate. I would relax. I would go fast. I would go slow. Whatever it was, I was struggling.  I struggled right down to the very last row I quilted.
An example of my rather wonky stars.
A particularly unattractive star.  Good grief!
Now  here is a good star, but of course, you don't notice it because it is on a solid piece of red fabric.
At some point I decided my shoes were the problem and I changed into my flip-flops in the midst of the coldest spell of weather our area has known in the last 20 years. That actually did seem to help and I am reconsidering naming my little enterprise The Flip Flop Quilter instead of Three Dog Night Quilting Co.
I took a picture of my flip flops. 
I tried smiling while I quilted. At one point I found myself leaning completely over the machine mere inches from the screen.  
I was never so happy as when I finally rolled the last of the quilt up and I had the end in sight.  I finished it off and pulled it off the frame as fast as I could.
Finally at the end.
So here is what it looks like on the front:
Looking at this now, this is a terrible photo. 
Here is the back:
Far away.
Up close.
Here are three things I learned this time around:
1. When you are aware you have a wonk-ily pieced quilt (as I should have realized when I was fixing the few seams I did) you really need to take the time to measure it out and see how square it is. Then make adjustments from there.
2. Related to number 1; wonky quilts shouldn't be floated. The really need to be attached securely to the quilt frame and rolled tightly just like the backing. I read this on a quilting blog about halfway through my project. Lesson learned.
3. I learned how to save a pattern on my Pantovision program so I don't have to try to remember the dimensions each time I go back to start another project.
I have 3 more quilts arriving from eBay any day now. I can't wait to try again!
I was cutting it close on thread at the end!









4 comments:

  1. Hi Mandy! Looks like you are doing just fine with your long arm - you know don't look too closely and scrutinize your work too hard. If you find some time look at some of the work of those you admire and see that there are imperfections even in the most beautiful quilting...it's part of the charm of what we do. I think when we let the stress go and just have fun the end results are so much better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valerie! I know we are always the hardest on ourselves.

      Delete
  2. I think you did a pretty good job. I've never thought of looking on eBay. I have about 5 quilt tops that I made that I plan to practice on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A longarmer I follow from KC is always finding great quilts this way so I started as well! Once they over $15 I usually back off and look for another.

      Delete