Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Go Cats!

This past weekend I spent working on my husband's aunt Lisa's K-State Wildcat quilt.  Since Lisa is getting the auntie discount I felt a little more brave to try out my free-motion/custom stuff on her.  I've been in love with these bubble inside of bubbles I'd been seeing and decided why not just go for it?  While I had not practiced the bubble design on an actual piece of material I had doodled it a lot in my free time (or faculty meetings).  In all honesty I do believe my doodling habit has led to my longarming career.  Who knew countless hours of drawing meaningless doodles in my planner and calendar would lead to actual paying jobs as a longarmer?  
An example of my prolific doodling from an agenda from our church's deacons meeting last night.
So I went to work filling in each purple background with purple colored bubbles. 
The bubble pattern from the front.
The bubble pattern from the back.
For the borders and sashings I decided I wanted something to balance out the free flowing motion of the bubble pattern and chose to do some ruler work.  I made 45 degree angles 1/2 inch apart all the the way around the quilt and all the sashings.  I then added a design and traced the middle diamond and called it good!
The sashings & borders which I used a ruler to make.
The finished quilt spread out on my longarm frame.



1 comment:

  1. This looks great! I was never a doodler so that may explain why free motion quilting scares me so much!

    ReplyDelete