Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Quilts, Quilts and Barn Quilts!

I've been busy finishing up the end of the school year as a kindergarten teacher.  It seems like the last days are the busiest.  I've been able to get a few quilts done as well.
This first quilt you have seen before.  It's the quilt I taught how to make in my Beginner's Quilting class I taught for UFM.  It's a simple log cabin design.  (If you'd like to learn I'm offering this class twice this summer through UFM.)  One of my participants had never made a quilt before and I think she did a great job.  I did the quilting for her.
The finished quilt.

A close up of one of the log cabin blocks.

The back, since now that I'm a quilter I like to check out the back as much as the front.
 My next quilt I did for a fellow Deacon at church.  I love this pattern and color choice.  I am a bright person so the colors spoke to me.  Originally we had agreed on a loopy pattern but after I did the double bubbles on the K-State quilt I knew this quilt needed the same pattern of quilting.
The finished quilt.
One of the blocks.
A close up of the back.
A closer look at the quilting on the front.  So I like looking at the front quilting, too!
The last quilt is another Quilt of Valor (QOV) quilt I did.  The neat thing I liked about this quilt is I am finally getting quicker in my quilting so I can finish one of these in an evening after work instead of dragging out over several evenings or a Saturday.  I loved the pattern on this quilt and I felt like I had just the perfect color of thread for quilting it.
The block with my standard stars & loops that I use for a lot of my QOV quilts.
The finished quilt.
Lastly, here are some pictures from our visit to Dustan's family a few weekends ago.  They live in Wichita county, Kansas, which is not the county Wichita, KS is located.  Instead Wichita county is way out west about 40 miles from the Kansas-Colorado border.  Wichita county is having a quilt barn initiative.  The local eco-development is trying to get folks to put up a barn quilt on the local barns.  My in-laws have joined in and I think their barn turned out quite exquisite!  Everyone had an opinion on which quilt block should be used.  I picked my top three and I know this was one of my top three so I was happy.
The barn.

A closer look at the quilt block on the barn.
 Our dogs travel with us quite a bit.  Happy our Golden Retriever went along with us.  He was in love with the water sprinkler my mother-in-law had going in the yard.  He really liked it but I thought this picture was the funniest of them all since it looks like he is scared and running away for his life!
It's coming to get me!


No comments:

Post a Comment